“In southern Cambodia, the spectral Bokor Hill Station whispers stories of former glory French colonial,
between walls violated by bullets and red lichen.
Built between 1917 and 1921 in the jungle at 1,000 meters above sea level as a health resort for the rich
French colonialists fleeing the blistering heat and oppressive cities, cost the lives of 900 workers.
Opened in 1925 the most significant building was the Bokor Palace Hotel & Casino, accompanied by shops
a post office, a large water tank for water, a Catholic church and the Black Palace, Royal apartments.
The site was abandoned several times, the last in 1972 when the Khmer Rouge came to power and converted
the old Casino into an operational headquarter.
Towards the end of the war Bokor became one of their last strongholds, besieged for months from the
Vietnamese liberation army perched in the few hundred meters far Catholic Church.
Throughout its history Bokor saw luxury and war, was a sacred place and a battlefield.”